The Value of Goal Setting
If you look up the word “goal”, you will find this definition: the object of a person's ambition or effort; an aim or desired result. In order to get where one wants to go, they need to be able to define where that is. Do they want to be their own boss? Manage the company? Have a family? Own a house? No matter what it is they want to achieve, they have to be able to set up the path to get there – their goals. These goals help one focus on what it is they want and research shows links between goals and performance, especially in relation to business. Setting and achieving obtainable goals can lead to feelings of positivity and success, which builds confidence and can create further productivity.
Keep these guidelines in mind when building a list of goals for business:
- Keep goals achievable and be specific with what results are expected. Undefined or generic goals aren’t very motivating and don’t provide a strategy for achievement.
- Set both long-term and short-term goals. Keep motivation and encouragement high by setting up smaller goals that can build in to the larger goals. Long-term goals can seem lofty and insurmountable, but breaking these down into manageable parts with achievable outcomes can be motivational, especially when the smaller goals are reached. This helps build momentum and keeps the positivity going.
- Set goals with the whole team, using input from as many team members as possible. Strategize together; include opinions and ideas of others, which will motivate them to help achieve the goals.
- Write the goals down and commit to them. Keep this visible so others can refer to it.
- Build a habit of referencing the goals as well as the strategies to achieve them. If there is a road-block, re-strategize how better to achieve the goal.
- Believe in the goal and encourage others to believe in it too. Keep in mind that this may require the use of incentives to help motivate the team. Be willing to give something to help encourage progress.
- Don’t give up. Just because the goal hasn’t been reached yet, it doesn’t mean it can’t be done. Re-think, re-focus & re-organize.
Want to learn how we can bring leadership skills to your business or organization? We are hosting a free webinar on April 20th where you can learn about this and much more! Please visit: http://tinyurl.com/z2amjrr to sign up for your spot.
You can also connect with us via email: [email protected], or at any of our social media sites: